Calls for French Foreign Minister to Quit Over Son’s Las Vegas Arrest Warrant

Published on Tuesday 3rd November 2015, 11:47 am
Posted in: Casino Legal


Casino Legal

Opposition parties in France are calling for the resignation of Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius after news emerged that an arrest warrant was issued in Las Vegas for his son Thomas. The warrant alleges Thomas wrote cheques worth a total of $3.5 million (£2.2 million) to three different casinos in the city, each of which subsequently bounced.


The 33-year-old is said to have embarked on a monumental losing streak at the Palazzo, the Cosmopolitan and the Aria in the Nevada city on 15th May 2012. He is said to have written bad cheques connected to three different bank accounts on the night, worth between $100,000 and $1 million, and now faces three charges of theft and three of passing a cheque with intent to defraud. Officials in Clark County, which incorporates the famous gambling strip, have confirmed that the younger Fabius will be arrested if he returns to the US.

The warrant was issued in April 2013, but only came to light last week in France, where Fabius is already banned from playing at any casino after using a false email to try to gain credit in 2011. Fabius, head of a financial consulting firm, also pled guilty to a charge of embezzlement in the same year, following an aborted scheme to sell chip and pin cards in Africa in 2009.

The far-right Front National party, headed by Marine Le Pen, issued a press release stating its concern that the incident could “get in the way of a minister’s action, especially one that negotiates regularly with the United States on issues of the utmost importance.” The statement concluded that Fabius’ father, a former Socialist prime minister with a declared wealth of €6 million (£4.2 million), “cannot keep his job.”




Related News Articles


Casino Legal

Phil Ivey Loses Crockfords Club Legal Battle

Professional poker player Phil Ivey’s legal battle with Crockfords Club in Mayfair has finally come to an end, with the Supreme Court upholding a Court of Appeal ruling which dismissed his attempt to get his hands on £7.7 million in withheld winnings.

Friday 27th October 2017, 10:44 am
Casino Legal

UK Gambling Regulators Crack Down on Child-Friendly Casino Adverts

Gambling regulators in the UK are cracking down on casino advertisements which they say are likely to appeal to children.

Monday 23rd October 2017, 11:08 am
Casino Legal

This Online Tool Will Make Playing at Casinos Much Safer

Yesterday saw the launch of a brand new online tool that will make playing at casinos much safer.

Wednesday 2nd August 2017, 10:09 am



Gamble.co.uk Facebook


You first need to login to Facebook to view this page because it contains age restricted content.


Go to Facebook and Login
×